Like "Desiree" and "Imogen" together, no?
Well, eff off.
The RE said:
- Yeah, you still have PCOS
- That's nice that your internist wanted to take you off met but you're a lifer, baby
- Everything you're doing for yourself is awesome
- But we still need to keep you metabolically fit (hence the metformin)
- And it sure does look like the antiandrogenic effects of oral contraceptives would help you
- I mean we could control your bleeding with periodic applications of progesterone
- But that would just mask the underlying problems (at this point I swooned)
- So Desogen it is, darlin', and keep it up with the full dose of met since you tolerate it well.
- Great job with the diet and excercise, and
- See you in three months.
The difference between "We'll put you on the first pack of OCPs I put my hand on just to 'regulate your cycle', okay?" and "blah blah antiandrogenic effects blah double pronged approach metformin metabolism blah" is HUGE. It was so nice to talk to a professional who actually knew his shit and wanted the underlying metabolism and hormone profile to make sense and wasn't just interested in making the bleeding all orderly-like.
Also I got Mad Props (tm) for my attention to the specifics of my diet. No sugar, no flour, no omega 6 oils, lots of protein and vegetables and omega 3s. I was a little unnerved by the resident's shock at my lack of facial hair -- I mean, the dudes don't always get that ladies wax and laser and bleach, but I would expect a woman to have a better sense of what was possible in terms of hiding that stuff -- but I explained about how long I'd been managing my issues and she got it.
So there you have it. Metformin and birth control. I'm a lifer. It ain't the worst thing.